Like many knitters, my stash overflows with handpainted sock yarn, usually in 100g skeins. If I knit only socks, I would have yarn to last for several years. Instead, I wanted to design a simply addictive shoulder shawl pattern. One that would be easy enough for knitting on my commute to work, but interesting enough to keep me motivated through the final stitches.
With a knit-on garter stitch border, this elegant shawl features many common lace-knitting techniques in an easy to memorize pattern. Named for my mother, I knit hers as a holiday gift, using the black merino/angora shown in the photos.
Instructions are provided in both charted and written out form. If you haven’t yet worked with lace charts, this may be your perfect first project! Try following along with the charts as you work through the written pattern.
Approximately 48” across long edge and 20” deep at the point.
Approx 350 yards fingering-weight yarn
4mm circular needles 32”
4mm double pointed needles
4 stitch markers
second circular needle or crochet hook and scrap yarn for provisional cast on
- raugustine's Karen Shawl - Shawl No. 3 in 2014
- lilerin's Karen
- PitytheWool's Karen Shawl
- jamesnjess' Shawl Club Karen
- waterfowlwidow's Spring greenery
- ScarvesEtc's Karen Shawl
- KittyBandit's Lacy Shawl
- gamegirljill's Earthy Rainbow class shawl
- Cara-Seattle's Karen Shawl
- leezardxqueen's handspun karen shawl
- mamapr80's Karen Shawl
- bkobbe's Karen Shawl
- BeckyBaldwin's Two Rivers Yarn Shawl 2
- Naenralas' Hummingbird wings
- dg0264's Karen Shawl - Karen
- starlightsound's Karen birthday shawl
- SandyBr's Sandy Br's Karen Shawl
- whimwhammom's The Archaeologist's Shawl
- whimwhammom's Karen Shawl
- TheHappyHours' Camp Loopy 2012 Project 1
- gknitter's Pink Karen
- eweniqueknits' My Karen Shawl
- KnitChkKnits' Judy's Mother-of-the-Bride Shawl
- windchyme-donna's Return of the Green Hornet
- windchyme-donna's Aimee's Colors
To see more projects and information about Karen Shawl, visit Ravelry.