For years now, I’ve been wanting a design that uses up some of that subtly hand-painted sock yard I’d been hoarding. I had a few requirements in mind; it must use one to two 100g skeins for all sizes, it must be something wearable, and it must be fun to knit.
Riverbank Road is constructed to make the most of even a skein or two of your favorite sock yarn. The stockinette sections showcase color. The lace is simple enough to stand out, even in a handpaint. And the open V neckline is more than just flattering; it helps your yarn go further!
The vest begins by working the body from the hem up. After the armholes, the fronts and back are worked separately and joined at the shoulders by grafting. The front and neck bands are knit on.
Instructions for working the lace pattern are provided in written format.
21 sts and 30 rows = 4″ in loose stockinette after lightly blocking
S[M, L, XL, 2X]
This vest is designed to be very closely fit. Choosing the size slightly smaller than your actual chest measurement will give you the best results. If you want more coverage in the front, “busty” modifications are provided throughout the pattern. The modifications add 2 inches additional width to each front for a finished measurement of 4 inches more than stated for the size.
Please remember that obtaining the proper gauge is essential to achieving the right size, especially with lace. All sizing here is based upon a lightly blocked gauge – soaking the piece and laying flat to dry.
30[34, 38, 42, 46]” chest
13.5[14.5, 15.5, 16.5, 17]” back length
300[375, 450, 525, 600] yards sock-weight yarn
Shown in Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock Lightweight (100% Superwash Merino 360 yards / 3.5 oz) – color Footsy Foo
“Busty” version adds 50-100 yards.
US 5 / 3.75mm needles, 24 or 32” circular, OR SIZE TO OBTAIN GAUGE
stitch holders or scrap yarn
- elaineyuen's PTX Riverbank
- knammaknits' Vest
- ladescha's Lacy shrug
- rjsams' Riverbank Road
- elaineyuen's Red red riverbank
- SuperM's Believe
- 5fabfolds' Cruisin' Riverboat Road.v2
- MagpieMabel's Riverbank Road
- AngrySnail's Riverbank Road Vest
- juhwanie's Riverbank
- lousalome's Take a chance on size
- Villilanka's Riverbank raspberry
- jennileeknits' Riverbank Road
- knitosaurusrex's Red Dirt Road
- martinezknitter's RED Riverbank Road
- Claireej's Riverbank Depths
- Knitpim's Knitpim's Riverbank Road
- krol's Riverbank Vest for Jennifer
- phlewtist11's Riverbank Road
- knitterj's damsel by the riverbank
- beanie19's Rhapsody River
- Villilanka's Riverbank
- knotweezy's Rosie's Bolero Blues
- nakedk9's Riverbank Road
- indigirl's Sanity-keeping Knitting
To see more projects and information about Riverbank Road, visit Ravelry.