I grew up in the far western suburbs of Chicago, in a (once) little town surrounded by trees. Behind our house was a small patch of forest. It was, at the same time, my playground, my summer home, and the source of many nightmares. Most magical to me, I discovered that when the leaves fell from the trees, I could suddenly see right through to the houses on the other side.
The motifs used in this shawl, some inspired by Shetland charts, were designed to imitate the reaching branches of birch trees, leaf-less in late autumn. Knit from the center back out, the Silver Birches Shawl features lace worked on every row. Instead of garter stitch, as traditionally done, the pattern is worked in stockinette to create an open and airy fabric.
This pattern was originally distributed as part of a limited-edition kit for the 2008 Year of Lace.
Width: 50”, Length at center: 22”
Width: 64” , Length at center: 32”
Note: Exact size can be adjusted during blocking. Each additional 14 row repeat will add 2.5” to the blocked shawl.
Handmaiden 2-ply Cashmere, Limited Edition (100% Cashmere, 300 yd/274m per 50g
skein); 2 skeins
1 US 3 / 3.25mm circular needle, 32”/80cm or longer OR SIZE NEEDED TO OBTAIN GAUGE
Optional: 1 double-point or circular needle, 3mm or smaller, any length; used for provisional cast on
4 stitch markers
- fruitbat's Silver Birches
- Spatialpoet's Shannon's Dzogchen Shawl
- mtnknitter's Winter Pines
- beautricot's Silver Birches Shawl
- socksalot's Silver Birches
- Saccade's Silver Birches Shawl
- diasie's Blue Beeches Shawl
- WendyMcD's Birches
- fireboysgirl's Karen's Silvery Green Birches
- ttegnirps' Autumn Leaves
- Yarnthulhu's Silver Birches
- yfwdk2tog's Silver Birches Shawl
- knitMIT's Silver Birches Shawl
- susannelouise's Silver Birches - Year of Lace 2008
- Choochie's Silver Birches
- kellym's Silver Birches Shawl
- dpalme's Silver Birches Shawl
- Gale's Silver Birches
- lcoller's Silver Birches
- sisterknit's Silver Birches Shawl
- mdbatten's YoL September 2008
- nmh's YOL#3 Silver Birches
- Suzane's Silver Birches Shawl
- AuntyTink's Silver Birch
- mouser's yol m1 - fall
To see more projects and information about Silver Birches, visit Ravelry.